Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Even Birds Build in the "Flood Zone"





Remember the other day when I was asking myself WHY to people continue to build in flood zones? There are so many reasons we thought of but I didn't think of the most basic reason - instinct. Is there something about us that causes us to just want to stay in a familiar place no matter how dangerous it is? If we are anything like the birds that live in my Gazebo then the answer is YES! We have lived in this house for 3 summers now and this is the THIRD summer that these birds have built a nest in the gazebo roof. A cozy place...
...see the baby bird peeking out of the nest?


The only problem is that every year we find dead baby birds on the floor of the gazebo. So I was sure they would not build there AGAIN! But they did. So when Sofi and I were having our tea party this morning we decided that they needed some help. We took some scrap fabric and made a baby bird hammock! We could hear the little babies chirping as we hung it up. Hopefully they are safe now! Mama has a couple little openings she can get into. I'll check on them later and make sure mama is coming back...

No comments: